Corporate wellness is an investment in a corporation’s most valuable asset, their employees!
Corporate wellness is achieved through improving the health and well-being of a company’s employee’s lives through health education and activities that support positive lifestyle change resulting in improved employee productivity, morale and healthcare cost savings. The program encourages individuals to take measures to prevent the onset or worsening of a disease or illness and to adopt lifestyles that are healthier. It has been proven that when employees are in optimal physical and mental health, they are more likely to be performing and are more likely to be attracted to, remain with, and value an employer that appreciates them.
Selecting healthier alternatives may reduce an employee’s chances of suffering from illness. Less illness means corporations can reduce medical plan utilization, thereby reducing medical benefit costs, and in turn increasing earnings.
Wellness programmes have proven to be essential to the long-term viability of all businesses by:
• Reducing health care costs.
• Reducing absenteeism and time lost.
• Attracting superior quality employees.
• Enhanced on-the-job performance and decision making.
• Improving employee morale, resulting in lower employee turnover
all resulting in improved productivity and hence, a positive return-on-investment.
What are the benefits to the individual?
• Less illness.
• Lower stress levels.
• Increased mental activity.
• Increased energy.
• Improved sleep.
• Prevention of injuries.
• Enhance family life.
The Wellness Program
The program offers health risk assessment and screening tests, fitness assessments, on-site health promotion and educational talks.
The health risk assessment looks at determining the individual’s risk for chronic disease development and the screening tests look for indicators of chronic diseases of lifestyle such as heart disease and diabetes. Should you wish to find out more, please contact us.
What will be tested and screened for?
A questionnaire will be used for capturing health information on individual’s:
• Risk for development of chronic disease.
• Physical activity.
Screening for heart disease, diabetes and posture by determining individual’s:
• Body mass index.
• Waist-to-hip ratio.
• Blood pressure.
• Resting heart rate.
• Blood glucose.
Facts and Stats
• Chronic diseases of lifestyle are a group of diseases caused mainly by unhealthy diets, smoking, stress and a lack of regular exercise.
• Poor lifestyle choices manifest in increased risk factors such as high blood sugar (diabetes), abnormal blood lipids, high cholesterol, heart disease, high blood pressure and becoming overweight and obese – all of which can kill you!
• Chronic diseases of lifestyle account for ±60% of all deaths globally – that’s 35 million a year!
• High blood pressure accounts for approx. 7.1 million deaths per year.
• 4 million die globally from smoking related diseases.
• In most cases, chronic diseases can be prevented but this requires significant and lasting lifestyle changes.